Saturday, August 19, 2006

oops

When I was writing in here yesterday, I totally forgot to include the fact that I watched a performance of "The Taming of the Shrew" in Thornden Park last night with Bec. I hadn't read the play, and I have to say, I don't like it very much. I actually prefer the movie version "10 Things I Hate About You." Katarina's speech at the end pisses me off. She turns herself into her husband's slave after he spent the entire play practically raping her. Yeah. Okay.

So last night when I was trying to fall asleep, it occured to me how weird Thornden Park is. There is a huge public pool and there has been football practice for really little kids there for the past few weeks. Then there's a playground and you also get the ice cream truck driving through the park all day long. So it seems like a family-type place. There is also the amphitheatre, where they have Shakespeare being performed. And there is a gorgeous rose garden with little paths going through it. So it has a cultured edge to it as well, I guess. And then you have seriously frightening instances of crime, like the murdered body being found there last year. I would never walk through that park after dark.

So you end up with family-friendliness, culture, and crime all in one place. How does that kind of dynamic even happen? Syracuse is a weird place. It's like a bad neighborhood every few square blocks, and then every other OTHER few square blocks is upscale, relatively crime-free neighborhoods.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Syracuse is a weird place. It's like a bad neighborhood every few square blocks, and then every other OTHER few square blocks is upscale, relatively crime-free neighborhoods.

I've noticed the same thing about Syracuse myself. I've lived here more than 10 years now and it never ceases to amaze me.

I found your blog while trying to find when the pool in Thornden will be open (we're desperate for warm weather around here). I didn't find what I was looking for but good luck in NYC. Nice place to visit but Syracuse has countryfied me. I doubt I could live in NYC again.